This blog is not known for its sentimentality, but I could not resist this story from Harrison Township in Michigan.
The Fire Department were called to a road junction where a raccoon was seen sticking its head through a hole in a sewer cover. Onlookers were quick to spot that it was stuck fast.
Reluctant to use an oxy acetylene cutter and a liberal application of soap to the hole and the animal’s head not doing the trick, the fire crew borrowed some cooking oil from a neighbour. After oiling the sewer cover and the raccoon, they lifted the cover out and with one officer holding the raccoon’s head and the other pulling its body, they eventually got it free.
The raccoon, unhurt, was liberated after its moment of fame. It made a change from rescuing cats from trees, I suppose.